17 September 2010

In Progress

In case you haven't noticed I love quotes.  One of my many favourites is  ...

"Begin with the end in mind"

Like I've often said here, I have a real problem with going to car boots and charity shops as I see potential in everything!!  There's always something that can be 'done' to rejuvenate an old piece of furniture or clothing.  But before I buy something I always 'begin with the end in mind'.  I will know exactly what I'm going to do with it before I part with my money.

When I bought the chair below, originally shown here, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it and it's almost there.   Here's a few pics of my work in progress ...

I started by giving it a good wash and scrubbing it down with some disinfectant (you never know where these things have been stored!).  Then I removed the old fabric and seat pad with a stanley knife.


Then I ripped up a brown bag and used it to make a pattern for the seat.


I'm using the pattern to make a patchwork cushion for the seat pad


and finally I'm painting the chair.  White ... of course!



Finished pics to follow, hopefully over the weekend.

In the meantime ...

"Do not let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do"
John Wooden

8 comments:

  1. im the same .. i can always see the potential in things which is why i come home from carboots etc loaded down with cupboards, chairs etc!!
    the chair is going to look gorgeous.. i love the patchwork seat you're making to..
    cant wait for the after pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful now, looking forward to the finished item!
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both great quotes. Go on - I dare you to publish that post. I must admit I felt a little trepidation about this one but given the reaction it would appear that I'm not the only one feeling this way.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well all I can say is whoever penned the phrase 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' had obviously no imagination or local car boot, CS etc. The chair's looking really good can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Michelle
    Your chair loooks like it is going to be beautiful...look forward to seeing the end result.

    THANK YOU for the lovely comment...

    Yes indeed you are right the tea lights are infact vintage patisserie cake forms, that I bought here in sweden.

    My clever little 12 year old son, melted the circular tea light holder's wax into them for me...really pleased with them.

    Have a wonderful weekend
    LOVE PEACE enJOY
    Julie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shape chair and very pretty fabric for the seat. Looking forward to seeing it done.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it.I can't wait for the big finish! what wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Michelle
    You are such inspiration

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thank you so much for your comment ♥ The fact that you have gone out of your way to leave a comment totally makes my day ♥ Have a truly fabulous day! Michelle x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin