2 February 2012

A new home for my pins


I think this must be a sign of my age ... or sewing addiction maybe? 

Instead of getting excited about buying shoes and bags I now get excited about buying fabric and sewing notions!

My most recent purchase were some new pins (ok some fabric and trimmings too but that's for another post). 

It turns out dressmaker pins (those really short steel ones) are rubbish. 

They also really hurt your fingers!! 

Whereas these pearl headed ones are not only pretty but also far easier on one's fingers :O)

I digress ....

Now that I have new pins I decided they needed a new pincushion too.  Whilst I love my little jar it's just not practical for dressmaking - I worry too much about dropping it on the floor and smashing it. 

So ... I made this one



If you like it you can make one too

Just find yourself some pretty fabrics



Grab a saucer and pencil


Trace around the saucer and cut out one circle in each piece of fabric



Sew both circles together, leaving a gap to stuff


Turn right side out, stuff and top stitch the opening.


Get some embroidery thread - quite long, and tie a knot in the end.  Starting from the centre insert the needle and and bring back up through the same hole.  Then start to make sections with the thread, pulling tightly each time.


Finally finish with a button!


Ta dah!  Pincushion complete!



Have a lovely weekend everyone and let me know if you make one of the pincushions x


11 comments:

  1. What a good set of instructions - may have to try this myself!

    Thankyou.

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice instructions. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable - I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial - many thanks. Love the beautiful fabrics you've used.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Looooove it Michelle! I have been having the same problems with my pins so I will make one pincushion this weekend, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I have a similar obsession with pins at the moment, I am not sure why. And I am glad to know its not just me. I've just discovered your blog, its absolutely fab, girlie heaven!!
    All the best, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pin cushion,Michelle, I ve awarded you with the verstile blogger award,pop on over to mine to collect,;O) lots of love,juliexxx,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, lovely pincushion, great instructions too. Having just got a sewing machine I shall be needing a pincushion, so I will definitely be making one of these, thank you. Take care, Lyn x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful choice of fabric. I recently bought some brightly coloured heart headed pins,just so pretty to loo at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I've just discovered your blog via Toadstool House. And I'm soooo glad I found you - I love, Love, LOVE it here!!! What a fantastic range of different projects - and they're all so gorgeous!!!
    Looking forward to visiting you again soon.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wondered how to make a pin cushion and now I know!! Thanks for sharing, love the fabrics you've used, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thank you so much for your comment ♥ The fact that you have gone out of your way to leave a comment totally makes my day ♥ Have a truly fabulous day! Michelle x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin