26 August 2011

Pencil Rolls


Remember these?

I remember my mum making one for me when I started in 'big school'. 

She got the pattern originally from Womans Weekly

(have I mentioned that is my new fav mag? well it is)

The most fun bit of this blog post was sharpening all my pencils so they looked nice in the photos.  Gosh I can't tell you how long it is since I sharpened a whole set of colouring pencils, I highly recommend it.  There's something very therapeutic about it.



I think this might have been one of the things that paved the way to my craftaholicism :O) Well that and Tony Hart and Blue Peter.
 
I digress ... as always!
 
So ... a few (yes ok more than a few) years later here's one of my pencil rolls.  I can't tell you how many of these I have made over the years as gifts and for craft fairs. 

 


They are super super easy to make!

  1. Simply grab yourself a rectangle of fabric (length is determined by how many pencils you have)
  2. Lay the pencils along the top of the fabric and fold up the bottom part, this makes the pocket.
  3. Mark between each pencil where you need to sew.
  4. Sew along the pencil lines and add hem the two sides to finish it.
  5. Finally use a piece of ribbon or twine to tie.
TOP TIP - use gingham or fabric with a check and just use the lines to sew along.  I know - I'm a genius :O)


 


Right I better go and get a few more of these babies made as the orders are rolling in (get it - rolling ha! ha!) 

Have a fab weekend everyone and good luck to all of you sending off your precious little pumpkins to school in the next couple of weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Fun project:) The tip about using striped or checked fabric is definitely a useful one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good old Woman's Weekly. My nana used to save the toy making pages, makes me wonder if my bearmaking stemmed from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cute idea! I love the rick rack edge you put on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab idea, would work well for knitting needles or crochet hooks too :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Michelle.........very lovely, it's uses are endless and a great way to keep all your stash tidy and portable.....I doodle alot on the go, so it's perfect to keep my writing goodies in.Love the colour too.

    Keep well

    chelsea art designs

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thank you so much for your comment ♥ The fact that you have gone out of your way to leave a comment totally makes my day ♥ Have a truly fabulous day! Michelle x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin