2 December 2010

Christmas Tree is up !



I'm loving being snowed in and off college this week. 
It's given me the time to completely absorb myself
in all things christmassy and

I      L  O  V  E     I  T

Yesterday I decided to celebrate the first day of December by putting up my tree.   It was a bit of a family event - getting all the boxes out of the loft !!


I have to say my little notes on the calendar helped!  Every year when I pack up the decorations I go straight to the new calendar and write a list of all the boxes and bags that are going in the loft so that next year it will be easy to locate them.  The list below is what I wrote in January this year ...



After breakfast I cranked up the christmas music, piled up the fire and got started.

First the tree goes up. 

I've decided to put it in the sitting room this year.


Then the lights go on
(Obviously you check they are working first ...
of course I hear you say,
yeah right, I'm sure you've put them up
and had to remove them all at some point, I know I have)

I use two sets of lights
gorgeous clip on candle ones that I got in Aldi of all places
and cherry ones that I've had for years
and despite one of the bulbs actually being broken
they still work!



 Then the decorations.

This is where I stick to tradition. 
All my decs are the same each year with a few new additions. 
Each and everyone of them has a story attached.
There are angels that I bought whilst out for lunch one day with a lovely lady called Pam whom I worked with many moons ago, there are salt dough teddy bears that I bought at a craft fair for my first christmas with a boyfriend, there are cute snowmen I bought with my friend Sarah on a shopping trip, a gorgeous grey mouse that ............. ok you get the idea.



And of course there's the train track I bought last year. 
It's a bit too big for the sitting room though so I've taken it away.



For those of you who have had enough of the tree look away now.

For those of you who haven't here it is lit up ...



Oh go on then, just one more .


There's a tree outside too but it just doesn't look as nice.
If you squint you'll see it on the right ...


and my high nelly takes pride of place


Just need to do some work on the front of the cottage next,
it's a little neglected.


And if you're still not feeling christmassy
after all that have a little read of this

Are we too grownup to feel a thrill
As we light the Christmas tree?
Are we immune to cookies,
Christmas cards and Christmas glee?

Are we too adult to "Ooh" and "Aah"
At the Christmas candle's glow?
Are we blasé about our gifts;
Do we shun the mistletoe?

Are we too mature for carols,
For merry or for jolly?
Do the decorations leave us cold,
The ornaments and holly?

Fat chance! We'll never grow too old
To love the Christmas magic.
A year without a Christmas
Would be boring, even tragic.
 
So bring it on! The candy canes,
The feasting and good cheer;
O Christmas, lovely Christmas,
You're the highlight of the year!

Poem by Joanna Fuchs from here
 
Have you put your tree up yet?

7 comments:

  1. You've made me feel all Christmassy now!
    I daren't put up the tree until my daughter returns from uni so she can join in - she'd never forgive me!

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a litte train set like yours! putting our tree up on 12th, your's looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hej Michelle

    You are SO ORGANISED!!!
    I LOVE the tree it's beautiful and your cottage looks something out of the film THE HOLIDAY (my absolute fav.film) Especially love your woodburner too.
    I'm like you every decoration tells a story...
    Hubby is in London and I will have to wait for him to return, to chop it down, before I put mine up...
    It will be going up LATE this year, probably the week before.
    Keep warm and cosy
    Happy December Days...
    LOVE PEACE enJOY
    Julie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tree looks gorgeous! Love the bike! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh lovely tree, and the bike looks beautiful.
    I just had a look at your tutiorial for the love throw, going to have a go.
    Luv Sophie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'M In love with this post your tree and the train is so beyond beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful christmas tree!
    We want to buy our tree tomorrow!!!
    Have a great weekend,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thank you so much for your comment ♥ The fact that you have gone out of your way to leave a comment totally makes my day ♥ Have a truly fabulous day! Michelle x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin