9 April 2010

Spinster

First let me say thank you so much for all the lovely messages after my previous post.  Still not feeling great but the sunshine really helped today.  Not sure spending the day digging in the garden helped as I now have a sore back and a finger wrapped up in plasters. 

Who cares, it was so worth it.  I'll share some pics with you tomorrow.

I found this image online as I was looking for quirky images relating to knitting.  I was really drawn to it, obviously because of the knitting but also because of the title "Spinster".  It's from 2008 by Daniela Edburg. My sister (younger) is getting married shortly and this term has been (jokingly ... hmmm) used a few times. 


I didn't actually realise this but the term 'spinster' actually referred to a woman who spun wool, thereby living independently of a male wage (well so it says here) so I now quite like it and am happy to be a spinster afterall ... and am looking forward to quoting this to all future name callers :o)


If anyone else has any images relating to knitting let me know.

Have a lovely weekend everyone x

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better, fascinating to hear about the origin of 'spinster' makes sense really.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are feeling better.
    I liked the little trivia about the word spinster. :)
    hope you have a great weekend.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi , I hope you feel better quickly , take care !

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks incarcerated and vaguely manic amongst the yarn. A bit like the wife locked in the attic in Jayne Eyre (can't remember her name, Mrs Rochester? who was also a black woman)
    Still I wouldn't mind going mad in a room full of yarn!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Although I'm sorry to hear about your bad back and sore finger! I love this image too. I really find knitting therapeutic, and like the idea that spinster meant being independent!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thank you so much for your comment ♥ The fact that you have gone out of your way to leave a comment totally makes my day ♥ Have a truly fabulous day! Michelle x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin