11 December 2008

Tin Can Cards (Tutorial)




Here's a quick tutorial for making my tin can cards.

They've been really popular in my card classes as they are quick and cheap to make as most of us have tin cans at home.

All you need to make the cards are



1. a pair of scissors
2. a knitting needle (or similar sharp pointed object) and
3. an empty fizzy drink tin can. Wash it out and make sure it's dry (I leave mine on the draining board overnight as they can be slippy if they are still wet).

And of course some blank cards and double sided tape to stick down the tin embellishments.


Start off by piercing through the tin with the scissors to cut the top part off.





Cut down through the tin to the bottom and then cut round to remove the bottom of the tin.



You should then have a rectangle of tin to work with. Trim off the frayed edges. Be very careful that you don't cut yourself!! Then, cut triangle/tree shapes roughly from the tin.



Turn them print side up and place on a magazine or book (to save your good table) and bash with a knitting needle.



Turn it over and voila ... you have a 'decorated' tree. Here's some I made earlier. (I've always wanted to say that! Big Blue Peter fan)



The holly ones I drew out on the back of the tin freehand but you can use stencils. The options are endless :o)

Be careful with words as you must remember to write backwards !!!

Hope you like this idea. Don't forget to leave your comments and links to your own makes and any feedback on my tutorials.

Thank you

5 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea - thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tutorial, thanks! I love reusing things, and I love tin art, so I'm sold, lol.

    Once you've cut out the shapes, would it be too sharp to do with children?

    I found you through the SEW HIP! comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam. Thanks for your comment re the tin cards. They are quite sharp and pointy so I would be really careful if you are doing them with kids. What you could do is cut them out and put double sided foam pads on the back of them before giving to the kids to stick down?
    Enjoy :o) M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea,how original to reuse a tin can tomake such a pretty card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the idea thanks michelle:)

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thank you so much for your comment ♥ The fact that you have gone out of your way to leave a comment totally makes my day ♥ Have a truly fabulous day! Michelle x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin